ZOMBIE BIBLE (And Other Books): HWAHE: Horror Writers Against Happy Endings

I think Stant has nailed it.  When I was writing This Brilliant Darkness (the book which, at the time, I thought of as first Canticle Mirabilis, then Stella Mirabilis), it kept turning darker and darker.  When I edited it, and had to face the truth of what I'd written, I realized it was a horror book.  I didn't think of myself as a horror writer, but I had written a horror novel.

And the reason I wrote that novel, in the first place, can be easily gleaned from the dedication.  I knew someone very intimately who was the darkest of the dark, who was guilty, and who would never be punished.  I needed, however consciously or unconsciously I processed it, to process a story where the protagonist fights back against incomprehensible evil, and there's no happy ending--but there IS hope.

Well done, and well said, Stant.  I look forward to reading your books, my friend.

ZOMBIE BIBLE (And Other Books): HWAHE: Horror Writers Against Happy Endings: If you agree with the HWAHE aesthetic, post a comment.   And spread the word about HWAHE. (Feel free to use the badge below.) We live...

Comments